Delicious grilled chicken and veggies wrapped up in a warm whole grain tortilla. Perfect for summer time lunches for the kids.
What’s for lunch?
Isn’t that the million dollar question. When the kids are out of school, we all think, yay! no lunches. Wel, that’s not really true, is it? I mean they still need to eat lunch. It’s just not packed into a lunch bag and it’s eaten in a different location. But, where ever your kids are eating, it should still be healthy food.
Making something that the kids will enjoy (but keeping it healthy) is key to getting them to actually eat the food you want them to eat. Most kids like the food that you get at a take out place, and it you make something similar. they will devour it. These veggie chicken wraps are the perfect example.
You’ll notice I have named these wraps … veggie chicken wraps and that’s because these wraps follow the “real food guidelines” of eating half the meal in veggies and fruit, then adding a little protein and starch to round it off. There’s not a lot of chicken in them, but enough to meet the protein needs of kids.
You don’t need many ingredients to throw these wraps together and they are more economical than buying the fast food variety. If there’s something your kid hates, replace it with something else of equal value (veggies = veggies).
Here’s what you need for these Healthy Fun Veggie Chicken Wraps:
- raw vegetables (lettuce, red peppers, cucumbers)
- small whole grain tortilla wraps
- chicken, sliced
- BBQ sauce or
- mustard, mayo or ketchup (whatever your child likes)
Note: for the chicken, you can BBQ one chicken breast and that will make 4 wraps. Or grab a cooked rotisserrie chicken at the supermarket and slice up one side of the breast. Deli chicken is ok if it’s not loaded with nitrates and salt (ask when in doubt). If you’ve had a roast chicken the night before, even better. You don’t need a lot of chicken for the wraps, we are trying to increase the amount of veggies for the kids.
Here’s how to make them:
- prepare the chicken (slice or chop it)
- warm a skillet and lay the tortilla flat and brown it lightly
- turn and warm the other side
- remove from the heat and add the veggies and chicken
- Add the BBQ sauce
- wrap and serve with extra cucumber and pepper slices
That’s super easy! Serve them in something fun and your kids will be happy 🙂 Decorate it! I often add oven-baked sweet potato fries or even white potato fries. Whatever works for your family. You’ll notice the whole family will be munching on these delicious wraps.
IF YOU’D LIKE TO BECOME A PART OF OUR PRIVATE COMMUNITY,
FOR RECIPES, TIPS AND OTHER FUN STUFF RELATED TO RAISING HEALTHY KIDS!
Check out our Homemade Chicken Fingers recipe! They are baked and so easy to make. Another delicious “alternative to take out” idea.Print
Healthy Fun Veggie Chicken Wraps
Delicious and easy, better than take out, veggie chicken wraps are perfect for summer lunches!
- 1 cup cooked chicken, sliced or diced
- 4 small whole grain tortillas
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- 8 cucumber slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 8 red pepper slices
- BBQ sauce, mustard or ketchup
- extra veggies for side dish
- preheat a skillet
- warm the tortiallas on one side, until lightly brown
- turn and warm the other side
- remove from the skillet, and place on a plat
- layer on the the chicken and veggies
- top with BBQ sauce (or condiment of choice)
- roll and serve